OSRS HD Client: How to Play Old School RuneScape in HD
It took a few decades, but Old School RuneScape is finally playable in HD. The update did not come without controversy, however, as Jagex initially ended the third-party client – before the community’s backlash led to its full developer blessing.
Functioning Old School RuneScape is not as easy as logging in and switching to a High Definition option. Instead, you’ll need to download a third-party client known as RuneLite, then download and install the custom HD add-on. If you’re hoping to experience Gielinor in all its glory, here’s how to use the popular new OSRS HD client. With the latest Old School RuneScape update, now is a great time to get back to it.
Before you can do anything else, you need to download RuneLite and create a free account. This is a third-party client that allows you to run Old School RuneScape with a variety of plugins and add-ons enabled. Here’s how to safely download and install RuneLite:
- Head to the RuneLite official website.
- Click on the orange To download button in the middle of the screen.
- Create an account using the Log in button at the top right of the screen.
Once RuneLite is installed, you can connect to the game servers using your OSRS account and password. Your RuneLite account, on the other hand, will allow you to easily track add-ons and a variety of other content.
With these two tasks out of the way, you’re almost ready to start playing. Old School RuneScape in HD. The only thing left to do is download and activate the OSRS HD client. Fortunately, RuneLite makes this process incredibly easy – that is, as long as you know where to look.
- Open RuneLite.
- Locate and click on the Configuration icon at the top right of the screen.
- To select Plug-in center at the very bottom of the list. This will open a menu that will allow you to search for plugins in the RuneLite Marketplace.
- Use the search bar to find “117 HD”. This is the semi-official HD update that lets you play the game with completely reworked graphics.
- Click on the green To install button to add it to your plugins list.
- Go back to your main Configuration filter.
- Make sure the 117 HD plug-in is enabled.
With 117 HD activated, you will be entitled to a brand new OSRS to live. Keep in mind that the content is still in development, so it is possible that you will encounter a variety of bugs or graphical issues while playing the game. You can also customize the appearance of the game by clicking the button Settings icon next to the plugin – this will allow you to optimize its performance for your system or increase the graphics as high as possible.
Please keep in mind that this add-on can only be used with RuneLite and is not supported by the official version Old School RuneScape client managed by Jagex. RuneLite has access to the exact same servers as the Jagex client, so there’s virtually no reason to avoid using the customizable – and HD-ready – client provided by RuneLite.