The IRS probably owes you more money for the child tax credit. Here’s how to get it | Smart Change: Personal Finances

Sarah Hansen

All of the advance payments from the expanded child tax credit have gone to families, but there’s more money where it came from. All you need to do is file a tax return – ideally at the start.

As part of the US bailout last year, the Biden administration authorized a significant expansion of the child tax credit for 2021. Under the new law, the maximum value of the credit increased to $3,600 (instead of $2,000) per child, depending on their age. and family income level. The expansion also directed the IRS to send half the credit to eligible parents and caregivers in the form of six monthly payments, the last of which came out in December.

The families of 61 million children received the advance payments, according to the White House. Now, to get the other half of the money, they have to file a tax return, even though they normally don’t have to.

People also read…

“Our message today is simple,” Vice President Kamala Harris said in prepared remarks on Tuesday. “If you qualify for the Child Tax Credit and the Earned Income Tax Credit, we want you to get those credits. And you know why: working families deserve a break.

The right tax relief company makes all the difference, especially if you owe over $10,000 in taxes.

Get the tailored experience you expect from your local tax litigation and tax preparation professionals. Click on your state to get started!

Already, the expanded CLC has been credited with lifting millions of children out of poverty. Data from the Columbia University Center on Poverty and Social Policy shows that the credit reduced monthly child poverty figures by about 30%. The December payment alone prevented 3.7 million children from falling below the poverty line during the month.

Proponents of expanded credit want to make the expansion permanent, but the fate of that effort is still unclear.

Claim the child tax credit on your 2021 taxes

For now, the government is encouraging families to file their tax returns to ensure they receive the full amount owed to them. Tax season officially started on January 24, and the deadline for filing a return is April 18 for most people. You need to be prepared for delays: The IRS faces a huge backlog as it juggles a slew of new pandemic programs and rule changes. To make the process as painless as possible, file your taxes early and electronically, if you can.

If you received child tax credit advance payments last year, the IRS should have recently sent you a letter with information about how many eligible children you have and how much money you received. . This document, Letter 6419, will help you claim the remaining funds on your 2021 tax return.

Some families chose to opt out of prepayments in order to claim the full credit — and receive a bigger tax refund — down the line. The CTC is fully refundable, which means it will reduce your tax payable when you file or form part of your refund once your taxes have been submitted.

Even if you didn’t receive advance payments in 2021 or opted out, you could still get full credit. If you had a baby last year, for example, you can claim the credit when you file your 2021 taxes. Visit to learn more.

“Remember: you owe more, but you still have to file your taxes,” Harris said.

If you owe more than $10,000 in taxes, the tax relief may allow you to break down your debt into payments.

Community Tax Relief offers a full range of tax relief services to help clients get out of the shackles of tax debt.

More money :

Will monthly child tax credit payments be extended to 2022?

From car repairs to Cub Scout uniforms, here’s how parents spend their child tax credit payments

The IRS has sent its latest stimulus checks – but you may still be eligible for more money

© Copyright 2021 Advertising Practitioners, LLC. All rights reserved.

This article originally appeared on and may contain affiliate links for which Money receives compensation. The views expressed in this article are those of the author alone, not those of any third-party entity, and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or otherwise endorsed. Offers may be subject to change without notice. For more information, read Money’s full disclaimer.

Comments are closed.